Years 1 & 2
Welcome to the Year 1 & 2 page!
The Teachers for 2023 are:
- Lucy McNair (year 1 team leader)
- Deaane O’Brien and Sarah Maydom
- Nick Cantlon
- Pattie Csendes (year 2 team leader)
- Diane Nevitt
In Years 1 & 2, we follow the Early Years Literacy Model.
- In reading, students are exposed to a variety of texts, with a focus on extending comprehension and reading strategies.
- In writing we explicitly teach text types as well as encourage students to make personal choices to creatively express their own ideas. Students have writing goals which they work towards achieving.
- In spelling we focus on understanding and applying phonics and investigating word families.
- In Maths, we cover the curriculum areas of Number & Algebra, Measurement & Geometry and Statistics and Probability. We provide lots of hands-on activities and engage student learning through games. Students work in groups and all activities are tailored to suit their individual learning needs.
- We encourage students to participate in circle time discussions and Respectful Relationship lessons and provide them with opportunities to voice their opinions and listen to others. We focus on immersing students in a caring and inclusive classroom. Our school values are promoted daily: